Home for the heteronomous | "Get a job — and some human rights!"

Monday, February 27, 2006


Note that I am not talking about “popularization”, which usually means watered-down writing for less-smart, less-educated people, but “general philosophy” on the model of “general science”. For example, imagine three brothers with very broad, all of them eminent in their own fields: one historian, one biologist, and one philosopher. Imagine them deciding that each of them will write a book about their own discipline for the other two. “General philosophy” would be what the philosopher would write.

A final consequence of the absence of holistic philosophy is that the big decisions nowadays are made on the basis of philosophical gut thinking and hunches by committees comprised of economists, engineers, marketing and media experts, fundamentalist Christians, political consultants, military men, and politicians. There won’t be any philosophers there, and given the state of the biz, there aren’t many philosophers who would have anything to contribute there, or even anything to teach the members of the committee.
The peculiar mix of technocracy and mass entertainment which rules our lives is in part a consequence of the present devastated state of philosophy.



(P.S. One criticism I've seen of my rants against analytic philosophy has been to say that the field has changed since I was last in more-or-less direct contact with it 15 or 20 years ago. I am open to suggestions as to which works of contemporary analytic philosophy would change my mind if I gave them a fair reading. Charles Taylor and Stanley Cavell I already know about, and I don't count Toulmin as an analytic.)




| permalink | Main Page

(John Emerson has asserted the moral right to be identified as the author of this post.)








Google
adamkotsko.com
Web


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com


"Hold me closer, tiny blogger"