Tuesday, July 18, 2006
(5:04 AM) | it:
Cor Blimey, Guv'nor, it's a London Tuesday HatredApart from the fact that no one is telling Israel to stop killing people, and the deeply sinister chumminess of our 'leaders', today I have decided to abominate:
- the woman who cut her fingernails on the sweltering tube yesterday, despite the palpable disgust of fellow passengers.
- the fact that I'm thirty pages away from finishing the last Highsmith book, ever, ever. Write some more, dammit! Oh you can't, you're dead. Clone another from her hair, scientists! What was the future for anyway?! Where are those geodesic domes for the entirety of the Earth's population? The cures for diseases? The end of hunger? etc. etc. Not to mention the total absence of any proper space programmes....
- the way the flat is covered with weird hairy fluff that I somehow can't rouse myself to sweep up.
- The fact that I've spent all my cash for this month on the back of some teaching money that won't turn up for another ninety days.
- the fact that whereas anxiety used to keep me awake now it just sends me to sleep. Not a very useful development with a large (unmentionable) imminent deadline in the offing...
- the fact that I'll never know what it's like to be an ant on stilts.
I also hate: melons, cars (with all my heart), the crappiness of British things and our incapacity to complain properly about them, all dogs (apart from guide ones), cars, children, nature, the desire to drink, hangovers, academia, the inability of coffee to taste as good as it smells, the human body, niceness, washing my hair, folding clothes. But most of all, I hate feeling listless, which unfortunately takes up at least two-thirds of any given day.
So, er, I'm supposed to ask you what you hate now, I believe...London calling (er, although I don't like the Clash much either).