Tuesday, April 17, 2007
(9:02 AM) | Dave Belcher:
The fate of my future[This was cross-posted at La Perruque]
Some of you know that I have decided to hold off on PhD plans for a bit; the plan, actually, is to enter an MDiv program here at Nazarene Theological Seminary in the fall. Just as with every program I have ever applied to, however, the problem of finances surfaced yet again here: I discovered yesterday that NTS is only willing to offer me a scholarship covering a whopping 20% of tuition. This is rather disappointing news after having completed a master's degree already, and especially one coming from Vanderbilt (I hear they're still a "top-tier" school).
So, this is where you enter. I just don't know what to do. I know exactly what I want to do, I just don't know if it's possible, and/or how to get there. Should I continue with my extra year off and apply for PhD programs in December? Or, should I simply hope that we'll have enough money when fall comes around to afford school and survival, entering the program, accepting their offer? Is there some third option I'm just missing (which must not, by the way, involve working at Guitar Center the rest of my life)? This issue is of course compounded by the fact that Jodi is finishing her MDiv program here in...I think a year...and she'll be applying for PhD programs when she's done (we have to re-work yet again how we're "taking turns" this time around). Any advice at all is warmly welcomed...it's quite obvious I'm not responsible enough to decide my own fate, so it's up to you now.